booting rtems over the network?

Jack Cawkwell J.Cawkwell at open.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 19:26:43 UTC 2002

qqi at theworld.com writes:

>> I conclude that the boot image is wrong. I have tried many
>> combinations of arguments to mknbi both with an RTEMS boot
>> image and with a linux image. I must have missed something
>> as none of the images work. They all produce the same message,
>>
>> ALERT: got a fragmented packet reconfigure your server
>>
>> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
>I am using traditional bootpd on Linux (I suppose I just downloaded
>it off the net sometimes ago) and I am using etherboot without
>any problem - it allowed me to simply boot ELF image skipping
>real mode boot stage of netboot. I can look at the etherboot configuration
>I was using later today if you are interested.
>

>> Thanks, Jack
>>

>Thanks,
>
>Aleksey

Aleksey,

If you could tell me the recipe for creating the image
that is put into the /tftp directory. I suspect that it
is not the same as the one that goes on the floppy.
I have only a vague idea of the low level boot process,
all that jumping between cpu modes and addresses ....

As far as I can tell I am using the same set up as you?
bootp, tftp and a ROM image that is read from floppy??

What is etherboot? Is that the ROM image, or some other
program. What is netboot?

Thanks Jack