inline functions

Gerald Needell jerry.needell at unh.edu
Thu Mar 7 22:01:00 UTC 2002

Can somone tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here.
My saga began sevearl posts back with problems  using the "debug"
version of RTEMS. In digging, I have found that my application is dying
in when trying to release heap space. The code involved uses several
"inline" functions (..c/src/exec/score/inline/rtems/score/heap.inl).  In
reading the gcc docs, I found that when optimization is turned off, then
so is "inlining" so all of these functions are going in as normal code.
My question is, is this liketly to be causing my problems? The failure
seems to occur when the address of a heap block is calculated and it
times up non-word aligned. I am trying to persue this in two directions.
One, the excess stack usage by these function not being inline is
causing the problem and I'm clobbering a pointer or two, the unoptimized
compilation of the functions is produing a legitimate alignment problem.

  So the reason for the post is can anyone tell me if this makes any
sense or do you have any suggestions.

thanks - Jerry

Jerry Needell                     | Internet: jerry.needell at unh.edu
Space Science Center/Morse Hall   | Voice: (603) 862 2732
University Of New Hampshire       | FAX:   (603) 862 0311
Durham, NH 03824                  |