PPP once more

Mirko Markov mmarkov at dkts.co.yu
Fri Mar 15 20:25:06 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Siers" <mikes at poliac.com>
To: <mmarkov at dkts.co.yu>
Cc: "RTEMS" <rtems-users at oarcorp.com>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: PPP once more

> Hi Mirko,
> Below are my answers to your PPP questions.  Please try using
> the pppd example program to see if it behaves any better.  You
> will probably have to modify the pppd example program so it
> just brings up the link and waits forever.  This is the program
> that I used for my ping testing.
>
> >>1. What is the prefered mode of serial driver (IRQ mode seems to be the
> >>only one that works)?
> In the latest snapshots only the IRQ mode will work.  Are you using
> hardware flow control on your direct serial link?  I did most of
> my testing at 57600 with hardware flow control.  You may be running
> into some problems even at 38400.  Please ensure you Linux host is
> also configured correctly.

Hardware flow control is an issue that came to my mind. The thing is,
I don't have the full serial port on my board. I just have TX and RX pins
(with RTS, CTS and CD looped back in usual way). My point is: it worked
with earlier version of PPP.

> I noticed something similar to this and I do not think this is
> your problem.  I believe it was described to me as just how the
> TCP/IP network stack works.  Are you running out of MBUFS?

I'm not sure about it. The more logical way (in my oppinion) would
be to prepare the whole packet, allocate buffer and let the RISC
processor inside the QUICC do it's job. This would be more efficient,
far less portable, but I could live with it :)

> Good Luck
> Mike Siers

I'll need it :)