users of non-GNU toolsets

Fri Mar 29 16:40:10 UTC 2002

Hi,

We have been discussing deprecating the macro versions of
inline routines to reduce maintenance and simplify
configuring and building.  Historically, these
were in place to support non-GNU toolsets but
I have no feeling regarding how many active non-GNU
compiler users there and if deprecating macros impacts
you.

One argument mentioned was the following:

* newlib depends strictly on gcc.
* RTEMS depends strictly on newlib.
* RTEMS configuration depends loosely on gcc
* Many cpu-specific parts rely on inline:
find -type f -exec grep -l 'inline ' {} \;
reports the i960, arm, i386, ppc, hppa, sh and parts of the m68k to
depend on "inline ", leaving the c40 and the sparc.

So if you are a non-GNU compiler user, please speak up now.
Let us know how you make things work, whether you use
inlines/macros, etc.  Otherwise, there is no way to
justify the maintenance of the macro versions any longer.

Thanks.