ramdisk

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 26 21:26:58 UTC 2002

 > > We're working up using ramdisks for bulk data storage, the ramdisk
 > > devices are creating OK, but I am unable to mount them because the
 > > memory regions don't have valid filesystems in them.  So far I've been
 > > unable to find a function that "formats" a device for dosfs.  The
 > > dosfs test code seems to assume a valid filesystem is already in place
 > > on the device.
 > >
 > > - Is it correct that RTEMS dosfs does not have a utility to create a
 > >   dosfs filesystem?
 >
 > Unfortunately, it is correct :( I just have no time to write something
 > like mkdosfs for RTEMS, but I'm still going to do it.

You did a really nice job on the dosfs stuff, thanks!

 > > - If so, is there a way to make ramdisks mountable in RTEMS using some
 > >   other approach?
 >
 > We use dosfd with ramdisk in the following way:
 > First of all, we don't use real hardware, but simsh4 simulator.
 > We create file with dosfs image with help of third party program(for
 > example, mtools' mformat command under linux) and load the image into
 > gdb to the fixed location. Then configured ramdisk to the same fixed
 > address.
 >
 > Unfortunately, I don't know which dosfs test code you mentioned, but
 > I've sent our tests to Jenniffer with scripts which do all steps described
 > above.(but the scripts hardcoded for simsh4 architecture)

I downloaded the mkdosfs code and will have a whack at integrating it.
Nominally, its should work OK as the device file interface is
similar to RTEMS's.  Jennifer forwarded your test suite, which I found
useful with respect to setting up the mounts.  I should have some
results fairly soon for the mkdosfs...

Gregm