ramdisk

Eugeny S. Mints jack at oktet.ru
Tue Mar 26 19:54:24 UTC 2002

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're working up using ramdisks for bulk data storage, the ramdisk
> devices are creating OK, but I am unable to mount them because the
> memory regions don't have valid filesystems in them.  So far I've been
> unable to find a function that "formats" a device for dosfs.  The
> dosfs test code seems to assume a valid filesystem is already in place
> on the device.
>
> - Is it correct that RTEMS dosfs does not have a utility to create a
>   dosfs filesystem?

Unfortunately, it is correct :( I just have no time to write something
like mkdosfs for RTEMS, but I'm still going to do it.

> - If so, is there a way to make ramdisks mountable in RTEMS using some
>   other approach?

We use dosfd with ramdisk in the following way:
First of all, we don't use real hardware, but simsh4 simulator.
We create file with dosfs image with help of third party program(for
example, mtools' mformat command under linux) and load the image into
gdb to the fixed location. Then configured ramdisk to the same fixed
address.

Unfortunately, I don't know which dosfs test code you mentioned, but
I've sent our tests to Jenniffer with scripts which do all steps described
above.(but the scripts hardcoded for simsh4 architecture)

--
Eugeny S. Mints
OKTET Ltd.
mailto:Eugeny.Mints at oktet.ru