[leon_sparc] Re: another, rtems vs rest?

The LEOX team lpm at leox.org
Tue May 14 15:22:13 UTC 2002

Hi Joel,

Really pleased to hear something from you on the leon_sparc mailing list.
I would like to know if it exists documentations describing the internal
architecture of RTEMS?

Many thanks for your collaboration.

Quoting Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com>:

> "J.Saravanan" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, I've a beginners question (in rtos world).
>
> Well since I haven't seen a reply yet, I'll take a quick swing.
>
> > I understand RTEMS is an RTOS and is most suitable for control
> > applications. It can be seen that (from mailing list archive) RTEMS
> can
> > also be used for non-RTOS purpose, with a small shell and few
> applications
> > that are statically linked.
>
> Yes.
>
> > My question is, If time is not critical then what prevents from
> using
> > RTEMS as general purpose OS, just like linux. I believe, one cannot
> link
> > too may applications in an RTOS like in general purpose OS. Is that
> > correct? Then what is the knee point?
>
> Right now, the lack of dynamic loading is the biggest lacking for
> usefulness.  There has been work on a dynamic loader but I don't
> know the precise status of it at the moment.
>
> The lack of memory protection is a liability but there have
> certanly been plenty of general purpose OSes without that.
>
> > (Assuming RTEMS and the rest has all the facilities available, like
> > library, etc.)
>
> It has programming libraries but is lacking in graphics
> and device driver support in comparison to GNU/Linux.
> If you were constructing a PDA based upon RTEMS that would
> be OK, since you would settle on a single graphics
> standard and hardware configuration but desktop computing
> is way too varied.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Regards,
> > -Saran
>
> --
> joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
>    Support Available             (256) 722-9985

Best Regards
The LEOX team

http://www.leox.org : Free Hardware and Software Resources for System-on-Chip