development environment.

Glen M Cornell cornell at gdls.com
Mon May 20 15:11:21 UTC 2002

There is no equivalent to the Tornado toolset.  Tornado is a tcl-based
GUI front end to the compiler, debugger, configuration tool and other
third-party tools.  It allows the user to see a common GUI front-end t
all of the development tools.  Granted, there are many IDE tools with
 features more or less compatable with Wind River's product line as was
already mentioned, but there is neither a GUI-based configurator to
RTEMS nor a unified front-end tool.  I might point out that even though
Wind River encourages developers to use the GUI configurator, I know of
no experienced VxWorks developer that uses it.  Instead, they typically
modify the config.h file directly.

The VxWorks bsp directory contains the header files and c files that are
needed to link a kernel with the user's application.  The usrConfig.c
file contains the routine rootTask() which is the first task created at
start up and eventually invokes your application code.  usrConfig.c
#include's config.h which contains a bunch of macros which define what
features of the OS you want.  For example, if the developer wants the os
to be build with the fictitious frobulate protocol server, then the
config.h file would contain something like the following:

#define INCLUDE_FROBULATOR_SERVER 1

The config.h file inlcudes a file called configAll.h, which contains
system defaults, such as:

#ifndef FROBULATOR_SERVER
#define FROBULATOR_SERVER 0
#endif

The usrConfig.c code would contain something like the following:

void rootTask(){

#if FROBULATOR_SERVER
  frobulatorInit();
#endif

}

A gui config tool would be slick, but with questionable value, IMHO.
 Perhaps someone with better understanding than I could explain the
startup sequence and configuration of RTEMS.  With that information, a
gui tool could be whipped up.