Unreliability of laptop computers

Angelo Fraietta angelo_f at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 6 21:47:00 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

>Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a reference (I can't remember where I read it) that
>>laptop computers (running Windows, MacOS, etc..) are not designed to be
>>left on for days. I am looking for a justification for using an RTEMS in
>>an embedded system instead of running a program on a laptop computer for
>>days.
>>
>>Can anyone help me out on this one, does anyone know of a reference I
>>can use?
>>

>I don't have a reference but I can point out a few issues:
>
>  + usually more fragile than hardened
>  + heat dissipation is often poor
>  + if the battery is being viewed as a free UPS, then they are
>    likely mistaken.  My experience is that leaving a laptop on
>    with the battery always in will kill the battery within
>    12-18 months.
>  + Probably more expensive and larger than a custom configured
>    PC-104 system.
>
>I wish I had a reference.

I have a reference in the paper I read last year, stating the fragile
nature. It was a URL and I have it saved, but the URL is no longer
available. I can still use it as a primary source because I have the
dates cited and have a copy of the whole document.

If you want to include it as a secondary reference, you can cite
Fraietta, Angelo. "Smart Budgeting for a Smart Controller." Paper
presented at the Australasian Computer Music Conference, University of
Western Sydney 2001.

Available from
http://www.users.bigpond.com/angelo_f/smartcontroller/SmartBudgetingForASmartController.pdf

Additionaly, it will be available again in my doctoral thesis (when it
is finished next year).

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859