Beginner Questions

Wed Nov 27 16:34:35 UTC 2002

Arun Govind wrote:

>  Thanks for the quick reply. I just want to familiarize myself with the RTEMS development environment first. For that I plan to buy a board that has full compatibility. I know tis' better to learn how to resolve incompatibilities, but at least I think if not every, some beginner would face the same question and that's why I posted this question.

Cheaper and just as effective for learning purposes is to use one of the
BSPs
that is for a simulator included in gdb.  I recommend the mips/jmr3904,
sparc/erc32, or powerpc/psim.  At the application level, all of these
BSPs are capable of console IO, clock based services, and local loopback
support for networking.  If you played some, I suspect that you could
get
more functionality from at least psim.   The gdb RPMS provided include
these
simulators prebuilt.