Extra(?) tools

Thu Oct 10 17:17:08 UTC 2002

Thomas Doerfler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK these tools like ./i386-rtems/bin/as are identical to
> i386-rtems-as, so you can see them as sort of an alias.

Exactly.

> I don't know whether they are acutally used in the standard
> RTEMS build process.

They are used all the time implicitly by gcc.  That is where it
expects to find the as and ld for the target.  Add a -v on any
gcc invocation and watch where it goes.  I saw this as a piece:

 /opt/rtems/lib/gcc-lib/i386-rtems/3.2/../../../../i386-rtems/bin/as -o
o-optimize/init.o

It also shows the specs processing and include path.  When
linking an executable, shows the ld invocation.  Really helpful.