as, cc, ld ... native or cross compiler? crt0.o?

Tito Costa tito at csl-mail.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 15 00:48:51 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>

>>>configure:918: checking for executable suffix
>>>configure:928: cc -o conftest  conftest.c 1>&5
>>>cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
>>>ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
>>>
>>>By the way, lines 918 and 928 of the configure script do not correspond
>>>to the ones reported in the log. Actually I searched "conftest.c" in
>>>configure and I didn't find it.
>>
>>It seems to me that your toolchains' installation might be broken.
>

> Since this is a Solaris host one has to ask:
>
>   + Do you have a native compiler installed?
>
>   + Is your native compiler gcc or SunCC?

I have gcc installed. as and ld are the ones from SunCC; I checked
sunfreeware.com to download a new version of gcc, but they say that "it
was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in
/usr/ccs/bin", i.e. the same as my current gcc installation. Maybe
that's the way it is supposed to be for Solaris.

as, ld, cc1 point now to the native ones as you guys suggested. RTEMS's
configure script fails because it can't find a crt0.o file.
I don't have any crt0.o on my computer. But I do have libc.a and other
files called crt1.o crti.o crtn.o
Is it supposed to be included in binutils? native/crosscompiler? where
do i get a crt0.o?

May I ask why if I want to compile for my target, the native as and ld
are to be used?

thank you,
tito