termios/PTY problem

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Fri Sep 6 20:06:18 UTC 2002

Hi.

I don't like the way the PTY driver reacts to the
network connection being closed (from the remote
side).
Currently, it just closes stdin&friends and deletes
the task that is using the PTY. This gives that
task no chance to cleanup resources.

IMO, it should rather propagate an EOF condition
upstream.

Unfortunately, however, the termios driver seems
not to be capable to convey EOF detected by
a lowlevel driver to the caller of rtems_termios_read()
and rtems_termios_write() etc.

Shouldn't we fix this? I have a patch for pty to hack
around this (it also does NAWS and provides TIOCGWINSZ)
but IMHO it's really a termios problem.

Till.