Web Server Patch

Thu Apr 10 22:26:26 UTC 2003

Till Straumann wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm still very much at unease with the fact that this goes
> into the RTEMS source tree.

In particular, I don't like the webserver being in the tree
but since we don't have a model for constructing RTEMS add
on packages that contain their own configurery, it is the
best place to ensure that it is maintained and gets built
on a regular basis.

> Don't misunderstand me - I think it's great if a webserver
> is ported to RTEMS. I just don't think it should be part
> of RTEMS proper but unbundled.
>
> A web server, telnetd, shell, pppd are IMHO _applications_
> and I can't see a good reason why they should reside in
> librtemsbsp.
>
> Please consider making each of these applications a separate
> library, at least.

In general, they change so infrequently that packaging them
completely separately wouldn't be the worst idea.  Ralf is
probably the best one to answer but we should be able to use
some CVS magic to reuse RTEMS configurery with separate pieces.

> My suggestion would be to split librtemsbsp (c/src/) into
>
> libbsp   (contains 'lib', 'librtems++' only)
> libchip
> librdbg
> libwebserver
> libtelnetd
> libpppd
> libftpd
>
> and librtemscpu [the name is unfortunate anyhow]
>
> librtems  (score, sapi, rtems, posix, ada, itron, libcsupport only)
> libnetworking
> librpc
> libblock
> libdosfs
> libftpfs
> libtftpfs
> libimfs
> libmisc    (could also be broken up)

Some of these may be able to be broken out but as a practical matter
won't this make linking applications more difficult?

On the face of it, I don't really care one way or the other except
for balancing complexity and convenience.  But it is a big change
from a user perspective and could have a lot of impact on build
infrastructure.
Is it worth it?

> This would be WYSIWYG.
>
> -- Till
>
> PS: Some stuff I created: a shell (cexp), a modified tftpd a filesystem (NFS)
>      and more can _perfectly_ live outside of the RTEMS tree. Only my BSP really
>      needs to go there.

And the goal of cpukit is to let all BSPs live outside the tree of RTEMS
proper.