Web Server Patch

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Thu Apr 10 18:02:40 UTC 2003

Hi all.

I'm still very much at unease with the fact that this goes
into the RTEMS source tree.

Don't misunderstand me - I think it's great if a webserver
is ported to RTEMS. I just don't think it should be part
of RTEMS proper but unbundled.

A web server, telnetd, shell, pppd are IMHO _applications_
and I can't see a good reason why they should reside in
librtemsbsp.

Please consider making each of these applications a separate
library, at least.

My suggestion would be to split librtemsbsp (c/src/) into

libbsp   (contains 'lib', 'librtems++' only)
libchip
librdbg
libwebserver
libtelnetd
libpppd
libftpd

and librtemscpu [the name is unfortunate anyhow]

librtems  (score, sapi, rtems, posix, ada, itron, libcsupport only)
libnetworking
librpc
libblock
libdosfs
libftpfs
libtftpfs
libimfs
libmisc    (could also be broken up)

This would be WYSIWYG.

-- Till

PS: Some stuff I created: a shell (cexp), a modified tftpd a filesystem (NFS)
     and more can _perfectly_ live outside of the RTEMS tree. Only my BSP really
     needs to go there.