Bare configuration problem --enable-bare-cpu-cflags

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Apr 9 04:47:05 UTC 2003

Am Mon, 2003-04-07 um 20.35 schrieb Stephen Holford:
> Hi
>
> I've just noticed a problem with rtems-4.6.0pre that
> --enable-bare-cpu-cflags no longer seems to work. The flags get parsed
> and appear in BARE_CPU_CFLAGS, but the assignment
> CPU_CFLAGS=$(BARE_CPU_CFLAGS) in bare.cfg doesn't seem to work. I can
> hard code "CPU_CFLAGS=-O2 blah blah" in bare.cfg and that does work.
>
> As a work around I have found that using the CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET
> environment variable before ./configure does allow me to pass the flags
> I need to build correctly. Is this now the preferred way to pass in
> CFLAGS to the build process rather than --enable-bare-cpu-cflags?

Difficult to answer. The situation currently is as follows:

Initially, --enable-bare-* have been added as a band-aid to work-around
RTEMS's configuration not having been able to process *FLAGS for
individual BSPs.

Meanwhile, support for CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET has been introduced. However
support for *_FOR_TARGET is still pretty new and probably immature.

Therefore, --enable-bare-* had not yet officially been depredicated,
obsoleted nor removed.

Nevertheless, in longer terms, --enable-bare-* probably will be removed
in favor of *_FOR_TARGET.

=> At present time, --enable-bare-* not being functional qualifies as a
bug.

Ralf