How to build Unix BSP ?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Fri Aug 1 05:33:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 22:40, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:17:14PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > [1] I for one consider RTEMS application makefile templates to be an
> > unmaintainable misconception.
>
> what's the alternative?

How do you build applications in general?

I don't know, I can't know, I should not have to worry about.

To exaggerate: Do you use the Linux, the Solaris or the Win98
Kernel-Makefile-fragments for your applications?

>   automake?
automake is one technical alternative to help users to implement
Makefiles, that's all. The RTEMS makefile-fragments just another one.

The actual problems I have with the Makefile-fragments is
* their design (Using makefiles)
* their implementation (Using makefiles)
* their non-portability (gmake)
* their peculiarity to simultaneously hard-code host and target features
* we can't remove anything inside from these files, because any
arbitrary user application Makefile might rely on a anything inside of
them

=> All in all, this results into a pretty inflexible, error-prone and
hardly maintainable infrastructure.

Ralf