How to build Unix BSP ?

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Fri Aug 1 21:31:51 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:33:13AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 22:40, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > what's the alternative [to RTEMS application makefile templates]?
>
> How do you build applications in general?

if they're small, like shell scripts and single-file C programs, by
hand.  if they're larger, with makefiles.

> I don't know, I can't know, I should not have to worry about.

I see your point.

> To exaggerate: Do you use the Linux, the Solaris or the Win98
> Kernel-Makefile-fragments for your applications?

at the very least someone using RTEMS needs to know where the libraries
and headers are located.  but things can get tricky; how do you decide
what to link with if you want stubbed managers or debugging versions of
libraries?  a simple -lrtemsall doesn't cover these cases.  it seems
logical that these should be documented in some machine-readable form.

> >   automake?
> automake is one technical alternative to help users to implement
> Makefiles, that's all. The RTEMS makefile-fragments just another one.

are there any other alternatives?

> => All in all, this results into a pretty inflexible, error-prone and
> hardly maintainable infrastructure.

my biggest complaint with the current makefile stubs is that they are
somewhat twisty to read and difficult to work in a non-recursive form.

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com