Licensing questions

Tue Aug 19 13:36:05 UTC 2003

Michael Kelly wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> Thanks for your insightful response.  It does indeed clear
> up my confusion.  As to your last comment about the
> value of a board without the source, it is absolutely
> our plan to provide full source, but to charge a fee for
> this and to keep the drivers (which we will do in house)
> proprietary for a period of around 6 months.  After that
> we will most likely contribute them to the community.  That
> gives us some time to recoup the costs and get a head start
> on our competition.  This seem to be a common model.  For
> instance I know that Wasabi, who do a lot of NetBSD work,
> do it  that way.

I would just warn you that sometimes holding code can
result in making it harder to merge, obsolete, or just plain
out of date.  For example, an update of the TCP/IP stack is
planned.  When that occurs, it is possible that something will
change in the network driver interface.  If we follow the
normal path, any driver in the tree will get updated and
those outside will only see a notice to the list that
something changed.

So I would say if you want to keep the BSPs proper in-house for
some time, OK.  But be careful in submitting any changes outside
that are to shared areas.

But even keeping the only BSP to yourself, there is a potential
for issues to arise.  An example here is that we push to have
more shared code for BSPs so there is a desire to unify the
PCI and IRQ APIs and code.  The x86 and PowerPC have different
PCI APIs.  When unified, there will be changes which would not
be reflected in any externally modified BSP.

> Again, thanks for taking the time to help me resolve some
> of these issues.

If you want to talk any details via voice, ping me privately and
I will pass along a phone number.

--joel