patching GCC 3.2.2 for RTEMS

Harris, Andrew Andrew.Harris at jhuapl.edu
Fri Aug 22 18:47:50 UTC 2003

Hi -

I'm trying to build the cross compilation tools for linux as specified in
the "Getting Started with RTEMS for C/C++ Users" guide, Edition 4.6.0pre4,
for 4.6.0pre4 dated 25 January 2003.

I am trying to follow the section 4.1.3 "Applying RTEMS Patches", the Apply
RTEMS Patch to GCC part.

I don't use "patch" very often, but I believe there was an error because of
the following output:

--- begin output

[harriaj1 at pryor]$ cat ../../archive/gcc-3.2.2-rtems-20030326.diff |
patch -p1
patching file boehm-gc/configure.in
patching file gcc/ChangeLog
patching file gcc/config/arm/rtems-elf.h
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -uNr /usr1/rtems/work-tools/original/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems
gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems
|--- /usr1/rtems/work-tools/original/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems  Wed
Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
|+++ gcc-3.2.2/gcc/config/arm/t-rtems   Wed Mar 26 14:09:37 2003
--------------------------
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
patching file gcc/config/i386/i386.c
patching file gcc/config.gcc
patching file libffi/configure.in
patching file libjava/configure.in
patching file libstdc++-v3/include/bits/locale_facets.tcc
[harriaj1 at pryor]$
[harriaj1 at pryor]$ patch --version
patch 2.5.4
Copyright 1984-1988 Larry Wall
Copyright 1989-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

written by Larry Wall and Paul Eggert
[harriaj1 at pryor]$

--- end output

I am not sure what's wrong.  I tried both the gcc-3.2.2 tar file from the
GNU site, as specified in the getting started manual instructions, but also
noticed that the same components were available at ftp.rtems.com (note that
the instructions in the getting started manual are incorrect because
ftp.oarcorp.com gave me connection refused).

I am wondering if I might have an older version of "patch" or some other
dumb problem.  Or perhaps I'm not using "patch" correctly?

Any help would be appreciated,
-andrew

---
Andrew Harris        andrew.harris at jhuapl.edu