serial connections to embedded targets

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sat Aug 23 22:01:35 UTC 2003

This is a little sideways to direct RTEMS topics, but does anyone on the
list know how to connect an xterm (or similar KDE or Gnome terminal
program) directly to a serial port?
My embedded targets typically use a serial port for string output, which I
can view using Hyperterm on Windows, or can view by using cat to output
the contents of /dev/ttyS0 in Linux.  On Windows, Hyperterm is
bidirectional, so I can send commands back to the embedded target, and I
would like to be able to do the same thing from an xterm.  It seems it
should be simple, but I can't figure out how to get xterm connected to
/dev/ttyS0 instead of to a shell process.

thanks,
Chris Caudle