Where is debug info?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Aug 27 03:38:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 18:53, Leon Pollak wrote:
> Hello, gurus.
> 	This must be a simple question...:-))
> 	I compiled all the last (gcc, gdb, snapshots...) on my RH9 machine for
> powerpc. I took the mbx860 BSP and modified some things inside the files
> (such as no console, RAM addresses, and similar).
> 	Now, when I download the hello.exe file into target (via bdm, but this is not
> relevant IMHO), I can see only the assembler - no C text.
> 	I run objdump and received:
>
> [leonp at leonp o-debug]$ powerpc-rtems-objdump -g hello_sym.exe
> hello_sym.exe:     file format elf32-powerpc
> powerpc-rtems-objdump: hello_sym.exe: no recognized debugging information
> ----------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [leonp at leonp o-debug]$ powerpc-rtems-objdump -g hello.exe
> hello.exe:     file format elf32-powerpc
> powerpc-rtems-objdump: hello.exe: no symbols
> powerpc-rtems-objdump: hello.exe: no recognized debugging information
> ----------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	I checked all the build process - each gcc call was with -ggdb and -g
> parameters. So, where is the debug info?

Somebody of the mbx8xx authors found it useful to strip the bootables:

>From mbx8xx.cfg:

define make-exe
        $(LINK.c) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(AM_LDFLAGS) $(MBX8xx_LDFLAGS) \
            -o $(basename $@)_sym.exe $(LINK_OBJS) $(LINK_LIBS)
        $(NM) -g -n $(basename $@)_sym.exe > $(basename $@).nm
        cp $(basename $@)_sym.exe $(basename $@).exe
        $(STRIP) $(basename $@).exe
        $(SIZE) $(basename $@)_sym.exe
endef

Note the $(STRIP).

I guess, simply removing the line containing the STRIP will produce the
result you want to see.

Ralf