RFC: Boot sequence callouts?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Wed Aug 27 13:55:11 UTC 2003

Hello,

in the past, I have brought up RTEMS on various boards,
sometimes with almost no debugging tools. Today in a private
email contact I once again got the question "My board does not
boot. What's wrong?".

I just got an idea that might help a bit to find the reason
for a hanging boot sequence. How about a standard callout
function pointer (let's say "BSP_boot_checkpoint_reached")
that is called, whenever a new part of the boot sequence has
been reached.

Normally this pointer would be NULL and therefore no call
would be executed at all, but in the basic startup code, this
pointer could be tweaked to a useful function (like blinking
an LED, sending a character to the UART, beeping a beeper or
so), just to monitor, which checkpoints have been reached (and
which have not).

My recommendation is still very rough (and I hope no software
patents already claim this fantastic idea as IP :-> ), but
maybe this would be of some help...

Any comments appreciated,

	Thomas.
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany