trouble with Intel Ethernet Pro 10/100 driver

Chuck Tuffli chuck_tuffli at agilent.com
Wed Dec 17 00:22:16 UTC 2003

I've looked through the archives and docs, but haven't found anything
that looks like someone has run across this before. In trying to
verify changes to get the remote debugging support working, I'm
running into a problem with the if_fxp (Intel Ethernet Pro) driver.
Network initialization is getting stuck in fxp_stop() in the following
loop because sc->stat_ch never changes to fxp_timeout_stopped

	  while(sc->stat_ch != fxp_timeout_stopped) {
	    rtems_bsdnet_semaphore_release();
	    rtems_task_wake_after(fxp_ticksPerSecond);
	    rtems_bsdnet_semaphore_obtain();
	  }

As far as I can tell, stat_ch is only set to fxp_timeout_stopped in
fxp_tick() which should get scheduled to run by the timeout()
function. Setting the debug trace level to 5 confirms that fxp_tick is
never called. Where is timeout() defined? Is something else busted?
Help! :)

BSP is pc686 and RTEMS is from CVS (rtems-ss-20030703)

Output from if_fxp.c where DEBUG_OUT is defined to be 5

fxp_attach called
fxp_attach: pcib_init returned 0
fxp_attach: find_devid returned 0 and pci signature 0x30
fxp_attach: PCI_COMMAND_write = 0x117
fxp_attach: PCI_COMMAND_read  = 0x117
fxp_attach: PCI_COMMAND_read  = 0x117
fxp_attach: CSR registers are mapped in I/O space at address 0xC800
fxp_attach: interrupt = 0xA
fxp_attach: sc->cbl_base = 0x7F35750
fxp_attach: sc->fxp_stats = 0x7F35700
fxp_attach: sc->mcsp = 0x7F35500
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_attach: calling fxp_autosize_eeprom
fxp_eeprom_read(off=0x6)=0x4701
fxp_eeprom_read(off=0x5)=0x201
fxp_attach: sc->chip = 0
fxp_attach: device id = 0x1229
fxp_attach: CACHE_LINE_SIZE = 8
fxp_attach: sc->flags = 0x29
fxp_eeprom_read(off=0x0)=0x3000
fxp_eeprom_read(off=0x1)=0x2148
fxp_eeprom_read(off=0x2)=0xF1BA
Ethernet address 0:30:48:21:BA:F1
PCI IDs: 0x8086 0x1229 0x8086 0x3000 0x8
Chip Type: 0
fxp_attach: calling if_attach
fxp_attach: calling ether_if_attach
fxp_attach: return from ether_if_attach
fxp_ioctl called
fxp_init called
fxp_stop called
fxp_stop: issue software reset
fxp_stop: releasing xmit buffers
fxp_stop: free and reinit all receive buffers
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_add_rfabuf called
fxp_stop: finished
fxp_init: Initializing base of CBL and RFA memory
fxp_init: Initializing base of dump-stats buffer
fxp_init: cbp = 0x7F35750
fxp_init: cbp initialized
fxp_init: starting config command/DMA
fxp_init: initialize station address
fxp_init: start IAS command/DMA
fxp_init: initialize TxCB list
fxp_init: setup suspend flag
fxp_init: initialize RFA
fxp_init: stats updater timeout called with hz=100
fxp_init finished
fxp_ioctl called
fxp_init called
fxp_stop called
fxp_stop: trying to stop stat update tick

--
Chuck Tuffli    <chuck_tuffli AT NO_SPAM agilent DOT com>
Agilent Technologies, Storage Area Networking