RTEMS BSP for Soekris

Tue Dec 16 17:10:36 UTC 2003

Mike Siers wrote:

> Hi All,
> I was wondering if anyone has tried to get RTEMS up and running
> on one the of Soekris Engineering boards.  The hardware was designed
> for firewall and VPN router applications. They are also being used
> for Wireless network access points.  The boards currently can run
> scaled down versions of OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
>
> The net4501 board uses a 133 Mhz 486 class processor (AMD ElanSC520)
> with 64 Megs of RAM.  It also has a compact flash socket, three 10/100
> ethernet ports, and a PCI expansion slot.  I believe the boards are
> using a Sis 900/7016 ethernet controller. Has anyone ported a network
> driver for this ethernet controller?

The 4801 is using a National Semiconductor DP83816 which does not have
a driver in the tree.

The 4501 uses a DP83815 same driver situation

The board itself is just a PC386 BSP variant so shouldn't be a big deal.
Chris Johns (I think) posted information on using PXE to boot.  It
shouldn't be a huge deal to port one of the BSD drivers to RTEMS and
then it should be fully supported.