Automatic Re-Building of BSP

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Thu Feb 6 19:04:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:12:00AM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Overnight, it occurred to me that this is the crux of the matter.  You
> are logically building a system library. Normally, you don't include
> that in application dependencies.  When you write a Linux program, you
> usually don't include <stdio.h> as a dependency. :)

but it would not be incorrect to do so, and would more accurately
reflect dependencies.  some kind of install-if-changed mechanism instead
of tar would mitigate some of the penalty from repeated RTEMS installs.
(more effective expression of inter-directory dependencies through the
use of non-recursive make in RTEMS source tree would mitigate the rest.)

accurately reflecting dependencies all the way up from the hardware to
the end application seems like it'd be a good thing.  ideally I could go
to a single directory containing RTEMS, libraries, and application, and
type "make" and it would just "do the right thing"(tm) without having to
churn through hundreds of recursive makes.

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com