Powerpc IRQ handling breaks strict EABI compliance

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Feb 13 15:14:20 UTC 2003

Am Don, 2003-02-13 um 15.41 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
> [...]
> > => powerpc-rtems-gcc always applies __eabi instead of __main.
> >
> > => IMHO, a potential fix would be
> >
> > 1. to take out eabi.h of the powerpc-rtems rule in config.gcc (Which, to
> > my understanding, would mean to abandon eabi support in powerpc-rtems)
> >
> > 2. to implement a powerpc-rtemsaabi gcc, which then could rely on
> > __eabi.

> > > That's why I propose to have the _tool_ spec change
> > > -D__USE_INIT_FINI__
> > > to -D__USE_INIT_FINI__=value
> > The proper way to implement changes to gcc's specs is to patch gcc.
> >
> > I.e. instead of implementing your proposal, we could patch gcc to
> > directly provide a define if using -meabi.
> >
> > The only problem is where in gcc/config/rs6000/* to add it. One
> > possiblity is to add the line below to CPP_OS_RTEMS_SPEC in
> > gcc/config/rs6000/sysv4.h:
> >
> > #define CPP_OS_RTEMS_SPEC \
> > %{meabi: -D__EABI__} \
> >
> > > If we want a BSP specific value - that's already in place:
> > > __Thread_Handler() is not calling __init but _init which
> > > is defined by the BSP specific linker script. At the expense of
> > > having to fix this for each individual BSP, we could well
> > > go this way:
> > >
> > > __Thread_Handler() calls _init() [defined in BSP linkcmds]
> > > It should check against a NULL value however!
> > > The BSP could still check for compiler flags (using bsp_specs)
> > > and tweak the value of _init accordingly ;-)
> > >
> > > This is more flexible but it means that when we discover
> > > something like the issue we are dealing with right now
> > > probably all BSP linkcmds/bsp_specs need to be fixed.

> > > AFAIK (and I know little about multilibs), multilibs are CPU specific,
> > > whereas EABI is an ABI, so I'd assume these issues are somewhat
> > > orthogonal.
> > No, multilibs are not necessarily CPU specific.

> > flags into a library search-path.
> >
> > # powerpc-rtems-gcc --print-multi-lib
> > .;@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> > [...]
> > m750/nof;@mcpu=750 at msoft-float@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> >
> > The left-hand side (left of the ';' in each line) specifies the
> > directory, the right-hand side specifies the set of compilation flags.
> >
> > These sets of compilation flags basically are arbitrary and therefore
> > can be chosen at will to a large extend.
> >
> > > Regarding the mixing of eabi and no-eabi code:
> > ..
> > The set of default flags is this:
> > # powerpc-rtems-gcc --print-multi-lib
> > .;@mrelocatable-lib at mno-eabi@mstrict-align
> >
> > I think, the cause of pulling eabi related sections is using eabi.h in
> > config.gcc.
> >
> > I am not sure if this qualifies as a bug in powerpc-rtems-gcc, in gcc in
> > general, or as a bug in RTEMS (RTEMS __main/main-handling interfering
> > with the powerpc-eabi-gcc expectations on __main/__eabi).
>
> My reading of the output of powerpc-rtems-gcc --print-multi-lib shows
> that
> there are no libraries for -meabi which means there is no valid way to
Exactly.

Further _all_ -mno-eabi compiled programs try to link against __eabi.

This is why I think eabi.h should be removed from the
powerpc-rtems-clause in config.gcc.

> I am beginning to believe (1) this will not be addressed in 4.6.0
> and (2) that a 2nd toolset for EABI may be needed.
Another solution would be to dictate "THE ABI powerpc-rtems uses".

You would not play with ABI-formats on Linux or Solaris, wouldn't you?
You simple would have to take what the manufacture dictates.

I am no expert on the ppc, so can't judge what is THE ABI to use, or if
one ABI is more useful for this or the other CPU-variant

>  The C/C++
> powerpc-rtems RPM is already 55 MB for C and 70 MB for C++ !  We
> simply can't make it any larger to have EABI and no EABI libraries.

That's why I say, we should settle this by drawing a decision.

We could implement a powerpc-rtemseabi-gcc and a powerpc-rtemsnoeabi-gcc
and reduce the mount of multilibs by assigning a each of the current
powerpc-cpus to one of each ABI.

However, I don't know if this would be reasonable (To me, the powerpc
multilib-ing scheme already is insane ;) )

Ralf