The eCos, QNX, ChorusOs irq handling API

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Wed Feb 19 16:09:16 UTC 2003

Someone suggested to look at other IRQ handling API. I already send a
pointer to the ChorusOS irq handling API, here is the eCos API and the
QNX API.

<http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-1.2.1/ref/ecos-ref/the-api.html>

eCos : Nothing I would recommand. Interestingly they have tried to
abstract the PIC mask manipulation suggesting that each driver has to
code the enabling, disabling, making other IRQ... Seems to also provide
a QNX like two layer IRQ processing abstraction.

http://www.qnx.com/developer/docs/momentics_nc_docs/neutrino/prog/inthandler.html

QNX : not much better. Emphasis has been put into task processing to
lower IRQ latency anyway... Have provision for interrupt sharing but let
the OS allocate the container for the hdl queue.

<http://www.jaluna.com/doc/c5/html/ManPages/hman9dki/svIntrAttach_x86.9dki.html>

The one I prefer. I wrote it years ago and RTEMS one can be seen as a
second iteration... API is at least still processor dependent :-)
They have indeed added the void* argument, suppressed the isOn routine
(probably because one can assume that irq is enabled if a vector is
connected which is not always true?) and I would follow them...

NB : if someone has a pointer to VxWorks API, I would like to get it
because I have hunted google and altavista but found only part of it
inside FAQ but no official doc.

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr