Timer resolution

Fri Feb 21 13:44:32 UTC 2003

Nigel Spon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I might intrude for a moment with a simple user question; does
> anyone know where or how I might discover the timer tick interval
> limits for using the RTEMS network stack: i.e how often should
> rtems_clock_tick() be called? I ask because it must have a bearing on
> how well the TCP retransmit timers, etc will work, and I suspect there
> is a minimum resolution requirement for 10Mbit and 100Mbit Ethernet...

The tftp and ttcp demos use 10,000 microseconds as their value.  Given
that the source code is from FreeBSD, I would suspect that it doesn't
require a clock tick lower than that.  UNIX was never known for having
low clock tick quantums.

My guess would be that anything 10 milliseconds or less would be fine.
But I would love to hear from someone else.