more multiple dec21140 on ppc <fixed>

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 28 18:31:31 UTC 2003

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov writes:

 >  > gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Till Straumann writes:
 >  >  >  > gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
 >  >  >  > > (sorry Till, I sent a copy to to alone by accident...)
 >  >  >  > >
 >  >  >  > >
 >  >  >  > > I'm still working on it and have little more to report except that its
 >  >  >  > > increasingly looking like something isn't quite configured right in
 >  >  >  > > MPIC or the PBC.
 >  >  >  > >
 >  >  >  > > Shifting the onboard dec to MPIC irq 2 (which its supposed to be wired
 >  >  >  > > to) causes it to stop receiving interrupts (and I am changing its
 >  >  >  > > INTERRUPT_LINE value to 2, with name = 18).  I've only been able to
 >  >  >  > > make the onboard dec operate under its ISA irq 10.
 >  >  >  > >
 >  >  >  >
 >  >  >  > Hmm - I cannot reproduce your problem on my mvme2306 board.
 >  >  >  > Here's what works (with both, the original dec21140.c and the
 >  >  >  > modified version you sent me a couple of days ago) on my board:
 >  >  >

 > Till, now I understand what you mean by not wanting a struct sockaddr
 > for interrupts, I just learned about the pci swizzle...  I agree with
 > you.
 >
 > If I have the onboard ethernet on ISA 10, and the cpci board vectored
 > for service on all 4 cpci interrupt lines, with the onboard ethernet
 > pinging continuously, I will sometimes see MPIC irq 11 asserts.  It
 > seems like something is stopping the MPIC from receiving/servicing the
 > interrupts, possibly unless MPIC irq 0 is coincidentally being
 > signalled.  I wonder if it might be a subtle inservice/ack problem...

The problem was the polarities and senses arguments to openpic_init
were reversed.  This apparently doesn't interfere with MPIC irq 0, but
on the ppc it appears to mess up the other irq's.  Perhaps the
different openpic on Till's vme board handles the situation enough
differently so the bug is masked.  I've confirmed this by successfully
running the onboard ethernet on mpic irq 2.

Whew.  Theres still some problem with packet I/O on the cpci board,
but at least the mpic and cpci interrupts look right.

Joel, I'll include a patch to irq_init.c for this fix along with the
dec driver once the irq issue is settled down reasonably.  No doubt
when the irq api changes there will be upheaval- but we'll cross that
bridge when we get there.

Gregm