Fw: FAT-FS HD write speed

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Sat Jan 11 09:17:56 UTC 2003

Hello Peter,

today I have run the write data rate test. My system is a
MC68040 with a Sandisk PCMCIA Flash Disk attached.

For my Test I allocated a buffer of 64KByte in memory and
write it 16 times to a file either on the flash disk or the
root filesystem (in-memory-filesystem).

for the flash disk I got data rates of 78KByte/sec, for the
ramdisk I reached 380KByte/sec.

So the performance of the current implementation is rather
poor. I think about the following reasons:

- The FATs get written too often: It might be sufficent to
update them, whenever a file is closed, I think this happens
now whenever a new block is allocated, or so.

- The write function of our driver migt be somewhat slow. It
has been written for "robust" functionality, not speed.

I hope this information helps you on...

wkr,
	Thomas.

> Hi Thomas,
>
> it would be great if you could test your write speed.
> Assuming a disk with 4000 rotations/min and further assume
> that I can write one sector per rotation it should be possible to write
> ~34kb per second.
>
> Let's see what you can achieve.
>
> Peter
>
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:01:15 +0100
> "Thomas Doerfler" <Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > sorry for not replying your first request, but
> > christmas was near...
> >
> > I have written a short local test to check write
> > speed to my system, I will try it out this
> > afternoon and given you the figures, ok? But I am
> > working with a flash disk, so the typical problem
> > of trying to write a sector that has just passed
> > the write head does not occure there.
> >
> > wkr,
> > 	Thomas.

> > IMD Ingenieurbuero fuer Microcomputertechnik
> > Thomas Doerfler           Herbststrasse 8
> > D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
> > email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
> > PGP public key available at: http://www.imd-
> > systems.de/pgp_key.htm