MVME 2400/2301/162/167 BSPs

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 14 20:09:55 UTC 2003

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
> Joel Sherrill writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > > Hello,
>  > > >
>  > > > I am new to RTEMS. I have downloaded ver 4.5.
>  > > >
>  > > > I also downloaded the bare BSP.
>  > > >
>  > > > I was hoping to find a BSP for MVME 2400/2301/162/167
>  > > > BSPs. Preferably, MVME2400 and/or MVME162.
>  > >
>  > > There is sort of a universal motrola powerpc
>  > > board BSP located at
>  > >
>  > > c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/motorola_powerpc/
>  > >
>  > > with some readme files. Maybe this is a starting
>  > > point for you...
>  >
>  > More than maybe. :)  The motorola_powerpc BSP has "aliases"
>  > to support a wide variety of Motorola VMEbus, CompactPCI,
>  > and PowerPC motherboards.  The current aliases which are
>  > known are mvme2307, mcp750, and mtx603e.
>  >
>  > The mvme2307 BSP alias has been reported to work on most
>  > the mvme230x series so I would suspect it will just work
>  > on the mvme240x.  Hopefully someone on the list can confirm this.
>  >
>  > I recall Greg Menke reporting the the mtx603e BSP variant would
>  > actually work on his mcp750 as well.
>  >

> The motorola_powerpc shared bsp is fairly general.  The
> board/processor specific stuff is handled by #ifdef's.  If the chipset
> on the board is more or less supported by the existing code, a
> nominally functional bsp should be easy to implement.  If not, it will
> require adding definitions and code to support the alternate hardware.

AFAIK, the BSP expects to find a 'RAVEN' PCI hostbridge.
I found it quite easy to 'derive' a BSP for Synergy Microsystems'
VGM board series (MPC106 hostbridge, no ISA bus [memory mapped UART],
UniverseII VME bridge, Symbios 'yellowfin' ethernet interface) from the
motorola_powerpc BSP).
To simplify the task of 'deriving' a 'similar' BSP from
'motorola_powerpc', I separated generic code (such as the PCI
configuration space access routines) from more specific parts (e.g.
hostbridge detection) into separate files. The respective
modifications I did to 'motorola_powerpc' are present in recent snapshots.

The SVGM BSP overrides the respective files from motorola_powerpc
with its own versions:

/* basic definitions; memory layout, device addresses etc. */
include/bsp.h
/* interrupt routing */
irq/irq.h
/* VME / PCI address configuration */
vme/VMEConfig.h

/* irq controller setup/init; modified copy of the 'shared' version */
irq/irq_init.c
/* host bridge detection; replaces detect_raven_bridge.c */
pci/detect_grackle_bridge.c
/* board setup/init; modified copy of the 'shared' version */
startup/bspstart.c

/* ethernet chip driver */
svgm/network/yellowfin.c

If you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask

-- Till

PS: I still need to contribute VME and pagetable support
     (i.e. generic 'setup' routines; the drivers are already
     there) as well as the SVGM BSP itself...