new RTEMS user

Fri Jul 25 17:15:44 UTC 2003

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 18:35, Ed Sutter wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm brand new to RTEMS.  I'd like to try it out on a PPC405
> > board I have.  I just downloaded rtems-4.6.0pre4 and ran
> > configure with the following options...
> >
> >    --target=powerpc-rtems --disable-itron --program-prefix=ppc-elf-
> >
> > I'm hoping to be able to build RTEMS using the CYGWIN X-TOOLS package
> > from MicroCross, that's why I add the --program-prefix=ppc-elf-
> This probably won't work without major effort.
>
> > Anyway, the "configure" ran through successfully, but when I ran
> > make RTEMS_BSP="gen405" it very quickly told me it could not find
> > "powerpc-rtems-gcc".  I thought that the "--program-prefix=ppc-elf-"
> > would deal with this.  Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
> You are misinterpreting --program-prefix.
>
> --program-prefix is the "program-prefix" to be used to prefix programs
> when installing them. In general, for example, configuring a package
> with --program-prefix=foo- will cause a program "prog" to be installed
> as "foo-prog".
>
> For RTEMS --program-prefix is meaningless.
>
> What you actually are looking for is CC_FOR_TARGET
> (cf. configure --help of rtems-4.6pre3).
>
> In your case, you have a chance to getting started with something
> similar to this:
> configure --target=powerpc-rtems CC_FOR_TARGET=ppc-elf-gcc
>
> Anyway, I would recommend using a powerpc-rtems-toolchain instead.

I wanted to throw in the comment that even if you can trick ppc-elf-gcc
to provide all the symbols and linking information correctly, the
installed newlib ppc-elf C library is different from the newlib
powerpc-rtems C library.  The ppc-elf is going to be targetting bare
hardware where the powerpc-rtems is going to glue to the RTEMS system
calls.  There are also some .h files which won't even be there in
ppc-elf -- in particular, some networking and POSIX .h files will
be missing.