new RTEMS user

Ed Sutter els at emailbox.hdtv.lucent.com
Mon Jul 28 20:02:36 UTC 2003

Hi,
Well I've made some good progress regarding building...
I basically started over and installed the RTEMS-specific
tools (binutils & newlib), then I was able to run
"configure", "make" and "make install" for RTEMS and
everything completed successfully.
Next, I built the hello world application, and that too
built ok.  Cool!

Now I want to see what is necessary to get the bsp modified
to work on my hardware.  I am currently working with the
gen405 BSP and I want to put it on a CSB472 (small PPC405-based
card from Cogent Computer Systems).
I need to look at things like SDRAM initialization, cpu clock
frequency, serial port configuration etc... and adjust as
needed.  I found some of the IO-specific stuff under
c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/gen405, but I didn't find anything
related to the real low level startup (SDRAM init, parallel
io configuration, etc...).

My goal is to boot this as a file in the TFS file system of
MicroMonitor, then hook TFS up to RTEMS.

So, I basically have two questions...
1. Anyone familiar with the gen405 bsp that can point me to
   the low-level target-specific stuff (sdram, pio, etc..)?
2. I'd like to just browse the whole "startup" scenerio
   for this BSP.  I'm guessing that a lot of this is generic
   and some of it is target-specific.  Is there any commonality
   between BSPs for this stuff?  (for example, do all BSPs use
   "reset.s" as the file that contains the entrypoint code?)

Thanks
Ed