pppd namespace pollution

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Mar 26 08:00:12 UTC 2003

Am Sam, 2003-03-22 um 00.08 schrieb Till Straumann:

> I had proposed that earlier but I don't really like it. Plus, Ralf
> pointed out that it is a GNU/ELF specific solution (OTOH: are not
> all BSPs GNU/ELF?).
Well, the objective is to be independent of gcc, binutils, newlib and of
ELF or GNU/ELF (I am differentiating between ELF in general and
GNU/ELF).

In fact, different parts of RTEMS currently are tied to one of these
components to different extends.

Some details:
* Most general parts of the cpukit are (are supposed to be) independent
of any of these components, while some parts (esp. score/cpu) depend on
using gcc (eg. inline asm) or other compiler features.

* The source-code of non-bsp-specific and non-cpu-specific parts of
c/src also are supposed to be independent of these components.
However, these files's Makefile-infrastructure currently depends on gcc,
so these parts of the source tree currently actually depends on gcc.

* libcpu and libbsp for most ports completely depend on many implicit
assumptions on various characteristics of the toolchain. Most assume ELF
a few COFF, several claim to be supporting ELF or COFF; All assume gcc
etc.

Ralf