OK, so Which bsd and which driver?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Mar 26 16:42:35 UTC 2003

Am Mit, 2003-03-26 um 18.16 schrieb gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov:
> Joking aside, Joel, please don't take this the wrong way- but this
> kind of thing is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I really wish these licensing
> issues were made more plain.
You are mixing up things, here:
Basically, RTEMS comes with no restrictions on licensing.

Linux is GPL'ed.

=> Nothing prevents _you_ from using Linux-code with RTEMS if obeying
the restrictions of the GPL.

It's only that GPL'ed code can not be merged back into the "official
RTEMS sources" because this would imply having to put RTEMS under the
GPL.

>  A recursive grep for GPL in the rtems
> source tree didn't turn up any general warnings about inclusion of GPL
> code in RTEMS- only a couple ancient boilerplate references here and
> there.  Instead of wasting 2 days, I could have easily wasted a couple
> weeks getting the Linux 3com driver ported, working and efficient- and
> then have to throw it out due to the AFAICT essentially undocumented
> no-GPL requirement.
As said above, it is not RTEMS which imposes restrictions on you, it is
Linux which does.

> Sure, I could use it in-house, which I probably
> would, but thats not helping the RTEMS community any.

Well, the idea of setting up a GPL'ed RTEMS and a non-GPL'ed one has
been discussed several times before, but AFAICT hasn't made it, so far

Ralf