gcc 3.2.3/newlib 1.11.0 Binaries out

Fri May 23 18:43:53 UTC 2003

Eric Valette wrote:

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The gcc 3.2.3/newlib 1.11.0 combination is available.  GNU/Linux RPMS
> > and binaries for Solaris and Cygwin are included.  They are at:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/c_tools/gcc3.2.3newlib1.11.0-2/
> >
> > If there are no bad reports on them, then they will be considered
> > for the 4.6 release branch.
> >
> > Unless someone has an argument, I would propose that the gcc 3.2.3
> > and newlib 1.11.0 combination be the tools of choice for RTEMS 4.6.x.
> >
> > With any luck, we can get a 4.7 release branch started for a major
> > tool upgrade.
> >

> I have no argument just comments :
>         - Anyway due to my recent patch to make ticker work newlib-1.10 is no
> more an option ...
>         - I already mentionned that newlib  has evolved quite a lot recently
> and that CVS snapshot is working at least for iX86. The question I have
> is about using a *frozen* more recent snapshot of newlib. Some of the
> FP/printf problem seeems to have been solved there...

I asked the newlib maintainer about the possibility of a release and he
had no immediate plans for one.  If you can provide a nice argument for
making one, the possibility is always there.  I was not completely aware
of all changes that a release would address.

I would prefer to go with a real newlib release.  And knowing the newlib
maintainer, a good argument will result in one.

[We do need to get all outstanding RTEMS newlib patches into newlib
before a branch though.]