rtems-4.6pre5 building first time WITH Ada

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Nov 10 23:05:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 21:01, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Chris Sparks wrote:
> > Wow!  Since when has Linux gotten so expensive!  I remember when it was
> > under $100!
FUD. You are mixing up "free beer" with "free will", and "professional
Server OSes" with "home/desktop user distros".

In the latter group, there exist many Linux distributions which cost
significantly less than $100 and should be available at many bookstores
and internet resellers.

> There is always cheapbytes.com (no recommendation really) which is
> really dirt cheap.

http://www.linuxiso.org

Almost all Linux distros, but SuSE are freely available as ISOs.

> > I can't use the up2date since it claims I am unregistered, however, if I
> > pay $20 I can get some certificates or some such nonsense.  I always
> > thought that you could always download what you needed, free of charge.
> > Has this changed?

Please go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com (or a mirror),
and http://fedora.redhat.com and *READ*

> I think they have gotten tighter on those things.
You are dead wrong.

In a nutshell, what has changed is:
* RedHat Linux has been discontinued.
* RedHat doesn't sell boxed RedHat Linux boxes anymore.

* RedHat Linux has been replaced with Fedora Core (Sponsored and
directed by RedHat).
* Fedora is freely distributable, freely available as ISOs
* Fedora is meant to be developed as a community effort instead "behind
the closed doors of RedHat".
* RedHat doesn't provide official support for Fedora.
* Fedora Core up2date doesn't require registration.
* Fedora Core offically supports yum updates. Third parties (e.g.
freshrpms.net) additionally have started to distribute it via apt-rpm.
* RedHat plans to provide security updates as before.

All in all, if you have never bought a boxed RedHat Linux, nothing much
has changed.

To me, Fedora currently seems to be the Linux distribution I have waited
for long. Future will tell if it'll work out in longer terms.

>  We always have access
> because most of our computers are bought with Linux pre-installed.
>
> > Has anyone worked with Fedora
Yes.

>  or should I pass on this?
"Fedora definitely isn't for everybody (A. Cox)"

I.e. it depends on your skills and hardware. Fedora definitely requires
more Linux knowledge than other distros.

>   Its free,
> > however, my computer will be tied up for the month downloading it! :-)
If you have got a 128bit/s modem, yes, otherwise not, because you can
selectively upgrade via up2date/yum/apt.

Works quite well to upgrade from RH-8.0/9 to Fedora. However upgrading
from RH-7.0 might probably not work.

All in all, using Fedora is not much different from using Debian, except
that it's rpm-based, backed by professionals, and closer to the bleeding
edge than Debian/stable and not as volatile as Debian/unstable.

Ralf