Memory fragmentation

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 21 20:06:11 UTC 2003

About a year and a half ago, I found that there I was getting memory
fragmentation, which caused RTEMS to lock up.

I had a class of about eight bytes in size, and allocated and
deallocated an object of this class 100 times every second. There was
only ever  two objects active at any one time.

After about three days, RTEMS locked up and had to be rebooted. I
overcame this by overloading operators new and delete in the class and
made a memory manager for the class.  I have run it for two weeks
without a problem now.

I am bring this up now because I am writing up my thesis and has come to
mind.

Has memory fragmentation been resolved or considered for RTEMS apart
from partitioning?

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859