RTEMS: A beginner...

Fernando RUIZ CASAS correo at fernando-ruiz.com
Wed Oct 22 07:29:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:55:52 +0100, Alex wrote:

> Hi all,
> My name is Nuno Costa, I am a computer science student, from Portugal, in the Msc degree.
> I would like to make a research for my Msc using the RTEMS kernel...
>
> This will be my first 'contact' with RTEMS.
>
> I would like to receive some help from people who knows RTEMS if it is possible...
>
> I would like to start from the beginning... any advices?
>
> My target platform is intel 86...
>
> My first doubt is: is it possible to install RTEMS kernell with a shell?

There is one in the libmisc/shell directory ready to use in PC386 or another BSP

You have there an expandible line command rtems_shell and your BPS becomes an isolated RTEMS box
with a serial tty port.
You need hyperterminal.exe (Windows) or minicom (linux) to explore the your code of your RTEMS box.
You have a lot of internal commands like TASKS , CPU USAGE included in RTEMS_MONITOR and very
reduced IMFS comands like, md, rm, ls etc. and help of course.
If you install a ne-2000 compatible (the old compatible isa card) card you are READY TO USE the
telnet server to use your RTEMS box throught TCP/IP. And ftp server, werserver etc...
All the tcp/ip line commands related are added automaticaly.
You can explore the ipconfig, tcp status,...

In order to expand your RTEMS box with your code you need only write your programs like a standard
'C' main

int your_command_main(int argc, char *argv[]) and add in the shell system the command.

Once you hace make this you have a new rtems_shell command ready to use.

This last is not a runtime loadable code like CEXP (Ask Till Strauman) but for your goal it is
enought for the moment.

When all your RTEMS code will be ready at your very old PC386 you can think in other specific BSP.
I start my rtems box with a grub diskette and three lines serial cable to link with my rtems_box.
In order to develop I used linux or cygwin environment.

BRGDS