Possible bug in _CORE_mutex_Seize()

Sat Sep 27 18:52:42 UTC 2003

Following up on my own post since I didn't notice the bottom where you
actually explained
where malloc() was called when I read this early this morning.

Phil Torre wrote:

>As unlikely as it sounds, I think we have found a bug in _CORE_mutex_Seize()
>which violates mutual exclusion.

It simply assumes that _Thread_Dispatch_disable_level is 0.  So calling
malloc() from within
a directive which uses dispatch disable locking is dangerous.

I think I have a solution.  Move the body of  the libc start hook to the
create hook.   It is probably
also necessary to change cpukit/score/include/rtems/score/apimutex.h so
that _API_Mutex_Allocate()
creates the Allocator mutex as nestable rather than
CORE_MUTEX_NESTING_IS_ERROR.

Finally, it might not be a bad idea for it to be considered a fatal
RTEMS error if _API_Mutex_Locks
wants to block when _Thread_Dispatch_disable is non-zero.  That would be
easier than this
happening again and debugging it.

It might also be valid to consider it a fatal error in a memory
allocation is attempted when
_Thread_Dispatch_disable is zero.