RTEMS on ARM

David Querbach querbach at realtime.bc.ca
Mon Apr 5 16:51:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:48:56AM -0300, Jairo Cavanus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was searching in the RTEMS documentation and didn't find any information
> regarding use of hardware resources (CPU, memory)...
>
> Specifically, I intend to run RTEMS in an ATMEL AT91FR4042 or AT91FR40162...
>
> uC?s configuration:
>    AT91FR4042: ARM 7 82Mhz, 512 KB Flash + 256 KB SRAM
> (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=1983);
>    AT91FR40162: ARM 7 82Mhz, 2 MB Flash + 256 KB SRAM
> (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=1985);
>
> The one that I need besides the kernel is the basic TCP/IP + PPP...
>
> Will I need external Flash or SRAM?

On the MPC555 (a PowerPC variant), the pppd example program uses 494k of
Flash ROM and perhaps 64k of RAM.  This example program includes the RTEMS
kernel, the TCP/IP stack, pppd, and nothing else -- no high-level protocols
or application code.

To determine how this might apply to the ARM, try building the pppd example
program with both an ARM BSP and a PowerPC BSP, then compare the linker map
files.

Regards,

David Querbach
Real-Time Systems Inc.