VxWorks vs. RTEMS

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sun Aug 8 03:09:01 UTC 2004

I know rtems has a posix compatibility layer that can be used. Has
anyone ever thought about making a similar layer that would map vxWorks
calls to rtems calls? Or is this even possible in a meaningful way? A
formal comparison between rtems and vxworks is in a paper by Till Straumann

http://epaper.kek.jp/ica01/papers/WEBI001.pdf

that concludes that their performance is about the same and states that
they both don't provide memory protection for tasks nor virtual memory.
Is that still true? (I have seen mention of a virtual memory library for
vx called vxmem.)

I have an application that uses vxWorks and am considering porting it to
rtems. I am not sure if this ppc based vxworks application uses memory
protect or not. Pretty sure it does not use virtual memory.

Comment/question appreciated.

Tks,
-gene