"build_alias" again in cygwin

Smith, Gene gene.smith at siemens.com
Tue Aug 17 18:49:36 UTC 2004

I seem to be having basically the same problem that Steve Strobel had
back in Jan 2002 with thread called ""build alias" trouble under cygwin".

It seems to be a random thing. He removed his virus checker and got it
maybe working better. (Mine is locked in with a p/w which I don't have.)
Also, changing the ./configure script parameters around sometimes made
it better. In the end, no resolution was posted.

My /usr/bin/sh is definitely bash:

$ sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

Sometimes ./configure will finish, sometimes not. Also, when it does,
"make all" will fail with complaint about build_alias too.

I do see some "no" results on the ./configure before the build_alias
failure (see below). The one that looks odd is "check if cross
compiling... no."

$ ../rtems-4.6.1/configure --target=powerpc-rtems --disable-posix
--disable-networking --disable-cxx --en
able-rtemsbsp=gen405 --prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6 | grep no$
checking for gmake... no
checking if the test suites are enabled? ... no
checking for gmake... no
checking for gmake... no
configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
configure: error: /bin/sh
'../../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/generic/configure' failed for generic
configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/configure'
failed for tools/cpu

-gene