"build_alias" again in cygwin

Steve Strobel steve at link-comm.com
Tue Aug 24 16:57:30 UTC 2004

No resolution was posted because no resolution was found :(  When I tried to build RTEMS last week, I couldn't seem to get past the "build alias" problem even following the same process that has worked most of the time in the past.  But one of my co-workers (with an identical computer except for some software installations) can get it to build most of the time.  I just use the libraries he builds, and so am getting by for now.

Steve

At 02:49 PM 8/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I seem to be having basically the same problem that Steve Strobel had back in Jan 2002 with thread called ""build alias" trouble under cygwin".
>
>It seems to be a random thing. He removed his virus checker and got it maybe working better. (Mine is locked in with a p/w which I don't have.) Also, changing the ./configure script parameters around sometimes made it better. In the end, no resolution was posted.
>
>My /usr/bin/sh is definitely bash:
>
>$ sh --version
>GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
>Sometimes ./configure will finish, sometimes not. Also, when it does, "make all" will fail with complaint about build_alias too.
>
>I do see some "no" results on the ./configure before the build_alias failure (see below). The one that looks odd is "check if cross compiling... no."
>
>$ ../rtems-4.6.1/configure --target=powerpc-rtems --disable-posix --disable-networking --disable-cxx --en able-rtemsbsp=gen405 --prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6 | grep no$
>checking for gmake... no
>checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>checking if the test suites are enabled? ... no
>checking for gmake... no
>checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>checking for gmake... no
>checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
>configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/generic/configure' failed for generic
>configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/configure' failed for tools/cpu
>
>-gene

---
Steve Strobel
Link Communications, Inc.