Tcl8.4.7 configure sanity check

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Tue Aug 17 19:24:52 UTC 2004

(this is pc586)

After good luck getting started with Rtems I decided to build Tcl8.4.7.
  The version on ftp.rtems.org is old, and I see people regularly
building it using a custom Makefile.  I decided to try to configure
from scratch.  Tell me if this approach is nuts:

1. I created a shell script that took all the defines in my
$(RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH)/Makefile.inc and made them sh "exports" instead,
i.e., the shell script has items such as:

"export RTEMS_BSP=pc586
export prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6
export exec_prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6/i386-rtems
..."

except that for CC_FOR_TARGET I used what I get when I build something:
"export CC_FOR_TARGET='i386-rtems-gcc
-B/opt/rtems-4.6/i386-rtems/pc586/lib/ -specs bsp_specs -qrtems'"

Then the shell script does ./configure for Tcl, and it almost compiled,
I had to manually hack the Makefile a little:

I added: -DUSE_DELTA_FOR_TZ=1 -DHAVE_TM_ZONE=1 to AC_FLAGS.
I used only "fixstrtod.o" for COMPAT_OBJS.

I know this should be done in Makefile.in or something, but I'm bad
with GNU configure.  I'll do that later.

Then the tcl library built all the way through, and the tclsh even
linked once I'd added the loopback "rtems_bsdnet_config" structure.
Except I know that the link is all wrong.  I tried copying the
libtcl8.4g.a to /opt/rtems-4.6/lib and adding -ltcl8.4g to LIBS in my
normal RTEMS sample Makefile and using tclAppInit.c as my main(), but
it still didn't find the Tcl library.

I'm out of time for today and I'll pursue this tomorrow, but I want to
know if this is a reasonable way to try to use a configure script to
compile something for a given BSP.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.