make problem with cygwin

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Aug 27 04:18:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 00:28, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> Martin R. Calsyn wrote:
> > Ahh - having $(LIB) set could be it.  If you have almost any version of
> > Microsoft Visual Studio installed, LIB and INCLUDE will be set in global
> > environment variables and make will pick up those settings.
>

> That's a known one that's bad.
There even is an entry on this topic in the FAQ ;)

BTW:
* LIB is supposed to be worked around in rtems-4.7/CVS for quite a
while.
* INCLUDE had never been used.

>  Also having spaces in your PATH is bad.
> But I don't have those issues and still get it.
>
> I have a TEMP and TMP set.
AFAIK, TEMP is DOS/WIN specific, TMP isn't and could interfere.

Both are not explicitly used by RTEMS's configuration, but they could be
used by tools. One would have to check these tools source code to be
sure ;)

>   Some variables with paths do have ~'s in them.
Do you mean *nixish "$HOME"s or WIN'ish shortened directories?
Do you mean paths or directories?

All of them are unsafe and can be troublesome. However, I don't think
they do any harm unless they are in environment variables being used by
cygwin or configure scripts (I.e. TMP, PATH, CWD/PWD)

> Ralf.. if you suspect something on this line, I can privately email
> you the env output.
Though I can't exclude anything, I don't expect this to be cause for the
"build_alias" problem.

Ralf