cygwin configure problem

Wed Aug 18 17:09:55 UTC 2004

Gene Smith wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote, On 08/17/2004 09:44 PM:

>> FWIW: The bug you've hit is a quoting bug in RTEMS.
>> Once having fixed this one you'll trip a similar known quoting bug in
>> autoconf, which already had been fixed in autoconf CVS, but is still
>> open in released version. Later, you'll trip yet another a new quoting
>> bug in autoconf :)
>

> Any bugzilla numbers for these looming bugs?

>>> I agree. They are evil in pathnames, email address, URLs etc. But some
>>> OS vendors seem to encourage them. ;)
>>>
>>> Anyhow, I moved my rtems stuff to a space-free path and now am stumped
>>> again. Spits out this after going a while,
>>>
>>> configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
>>> configure: error: /bin/sh
>>> '../../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/generic/configure' failed for generic
>>> configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/configure'
>>> failed for tools/cpu
>>

>> This issue had been reported many times (Please check this list's
>> archives).
>> I am not using Cygwin myself, and therefore hardly can help, but AFAIU
>> the Cygwin users' reports, this is a bug in Cygwin.

The PC I am using today has a fairly recent but not completely current
Cygwin installation and it exhibits this problem when Norton AntiVirus
is enabled or disabled.

If I specify --build=i386-cygwin on the top level configure, I managed
to get configured but when it finished doing configure as part of make,
it failed with the build_alias message.

I can provide the "bash -x" log of a failed configure if anyone
cares.

Interestingly, I built a test m68k executable of "main() {}" and
tried to run it with NAV enabled and it was allowed with no
NAV messages.

--joel