"build_alias" again in cygwin

Wed Aug 25 15:46:14 UTC 2004

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 16:17, Steve Holle wrote:
>
>>I'm the co-worker Steve Strobel referred to.  I can't say for sure but the
>>one thing I did that Steve hasn't was to go through and upgrade everything
>>that showed needing upgrade in my cygwin tree.  I have to suspect this is a
>>cygwin problem but am not sure why mine builds.  If there is some info from
>>my system someone thinks would be helpful, let me know and I'll post it.
>
> Another wild guess: Does your system apply HyperThreading?

My test was run on a Win 2000 box with dual 900 Mhz P3's.  At least
that's the configuration as best I can tell.

cat /proc/cpuinfo under Cygwin claims they are 794 Mhz but the
stepping information shows that they are really 900 Mhz.

So I could have some threading going on that is not HyperThreading.

> Besides this, I would be interested in seeing a list of *all* cygwin
> packages you have installed.

Do you want them for my install?

>>I am still not able, however, to do an incremental build so each build
>>takes 30 minutes.
>
> What exactly are you doing? Please describe each and every single step
> in detail.
>

>>  I would not recommend cygwin for anyone starting a new
>>RTEMS project.  The time wasted is huge.
>
> <*G*/> I would not recommend using Windows ;)

You could put a USD500 Linux box on a monitor switch, VNC to it and
make up the money spent in more efficient use of time. :)

--joel