General configure question followup

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Aug 26 16:21:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 17:50, Peter Dufault wrote:
> This is a follow up to Mark Mussetter's questions about configuring VNC.
>
> I had a method to configure Tcl, but after reading Ralf Cersepius's
> reply to Mark I realize it was probably wrong.  So I've gotten back to
> that project and want to do it right.
>
> RTEMS is built and everything works fine.  I'm building for pc586,
> using the suggested paths, etc.
>
> To configure Tcl I'm trying to do this:
>
> ./configure \
>      --host=i386-rtems \
>      --exec-prefix=i386-rtems- \
>      --disable-threads \
>      --disable-load \
>      --disable-shared \
>      --enable-symbols \
>      --disable-langinfo
>
> The tools are in /opt/rtems-4.6/bin as i386-rtems-foo, and
> /opt/rtems-4.6/bin is in my search path.
>
> However, using the above configure line, configure is using the system
> gcc and not i386-rtems-gcc.
>
> I'd gotten around this in my first attempts by wrapping the configure
> in a shell script that did things such as:
>
> export CC_FOR_TARGET='i386-rtems-gcc
> -B/opt/rtems-4.6/i386-rtems/pc586/lib/ -specs bsp_specs -qrtems'
> export CC="${CC_FOR_TARGET}"
>
> before doing the configure, but Ralf's previous comments make me think
> this is the wrong way to do it.

> What's the right way?
Neither ;)

What I had said, referred to "packages using autoconf-2.5x
configurations" and current GNU-standards.

Cross compiliing packages which still use "autoconf < 2.50 apply
different convention and are not unlikely to require steps similar to
those you describe above (CC=<host>-gcc ./configure).

I am not familiar with tcl to the extend to be able to comment on
details, but ... tcl had always been a very "special" beast which has
always required "special" treatment for cross-compilation.

IIRC, tcl still applies autoconf-2.13 and hand-written Makefiles. So
what you describe, might very likely be correct for tcl.

Ralf